The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Select Archive Year:

Organization Information Record Year 2016

Name: The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
Denomination type: Eastern Orthodox Churches
Year Reporting: 2007
Website: Visit Website
Description: The spiritual needs of Antiochian faithful in North America were first served through the Syro-Arabian Mission of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1895. In 1895, the Syrian Orthodox Benevolent Society was organized by Antiochian immigrants in New York City. Raphael Hawaweeny, a young Damascene clergyman serving as professor of Arabic language at the Orthodox theological academy in Kazan, Russia, came to New York to organize the first Arabic- language parish in North America in 1895, after being canonically received under the omophorion of the head of the Russian Church in North America. Saint Nicholas Cathedral, now located at 355 State St. in Brooklyn, is considered the "mother parish" of the Archdiocese.
On March 12, 1904, Hawaweeny became the first Orthodox bishop to be consecrated in North America. He traveled throughout the continent and established new parishes. The unity of Orthodoxy in the New World, including the Syrian Greek Orthodox community, was ruptured after the death of Bishop Raphael in 1915 and by the Bolshevik revolution in Russia and the First World War. Unity returned in 1975 when Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of the Antiochian Archdiocese of New York, and Metropolitan Michael Shaheen of the Antiochian Archdiocese of Toledo, Ohio, signed the Articles of Reunification, ratified by the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate. Saliba was recognized as the Metropolitan Primate and Shaheen as Auxiliary Archbishop. A second auxiliary to the Metropolitan, Bishop Antoun Khouri, was consecrated at Brooklyn?s Saint Nicholas Cathedral, in 1983. A third auxiliary, Bishop Basil Essey was consecrated at Wichita?s St. George Cathedral in 1992. Two additional bishops were added in 1994, Bishop Joseph Zehlaoui and Bishop Demetri Khoury.
The Archdiocesan Board of Trustees (consisting of 60 elected and appointed clergy and lay members) and the Metropolitan?s Advisory Council (consisting of clergy and lay representatives from each parish and mission) meet regularly to assist the Primate in the administration of the Archdiocese. Currently, there are 256 parishes and missions in the Archdiocese.

Contact Information Record Year 2016

Address: 358 Mountain Rd.
Address line 2:
City: Englewood
State: New Jersey
Zip Code: 7631
Country: United States
Phone: (201)871-1355

Media Contact Record Year 2016

Name: Very Rev. Fr Thomas Zain
Phone: (718)748-7940
Email: n/a

Attesting Officer Record Year 2016

Name: George Kevorkian
Position: Department of Statistics and Credentials
Phone: 2018711355

Membership & Attendance Record Year 2016

Full Communicants: 430,000
Other Members: 0
Total Inclusive Members: 430,000
Total Churches: 256
Average Attendance: 0
Membership Calculation Method: Estimate

Clergy Record Year 2016

Serving Churches: 480
Other Service to the Church: 15
Retired: 50
Total Clergy: 545

Religious Education Record Year 2016

Total Schools: 250
Pupils: 19,600
Staff: 2,250
Total Individuals: 21,850

Finance Record Year 2016

Total Benevolences: $3,550,000.00
Total Giving Local Expense: $3,098,954.00
Total Financial: $664,895,400
Receipts/Expenditures: Expenditures